Nov 21, 2011

crispy and crumbly...

I recently had a lil family get together and promised I'd bring a dessert. So far baking on another continent, and different sea level has proven to be tricky- seems like nothing works out. My cake burned, my cookies were too crispy, under done, over done, burnt, gooey...aka. a complete mess, leaving me with no confidence in my baking skills, none whatsoever.
So I decided on a good ol' reliable recipe which never fails me. Its absolutely perfect and heart warming as long as you have a scoop of ice cream. And lo and behold....It was gone in seconds. :)
May i present...

APPLE CRISP

filling:
5-6 apples peeled and sliced (better if they're a softer kind of apple)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs lemon juice (fine without)
1/3 c sugar

topping:
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c oatmeal
2 tsp cinnamon
1 c butter (room temp or from the fridge is best actually)
1/2 tsp salt

the drill:
set oven at 350.
prep the apples, toss in lemon juice, cinnamon, and sugar mixture- place into lightly buttered pan.
mix all dry ingredients for topping, then add butter and mix till it becomes crumbly and lil clumps form.
if the mixture seems dry and isn't holding together add a bit more butter. a lil' more butter never hurt anyone :) sprinkle crumble mixture on top of apples till almost all the way covered. bake for 40-50 minutes. sometimes even 30 minutes will do the trick, just depends on how crisp your apples are.

Enjoy with a huge ball of ice cream - perfect for those cold, misty days you wanna cuddle and stay home watching TV.


No comments: